These are some photos from a few rolls of Fujifilm Pro 400H from my trip with Zab to the Philippines earlier this year that I finally developed. My developing has been a bit slow since I’ve been waiting until I have enough rolls to maximize the useage of a batch of chemicals. While we were there I mostly spent time shooting slide film, which I posted in this blog post, but I ended up shooting a couple rolls of 400H when I wanted to get shots in low-light situations and of her and I. Generally, I find negative film to be more flattering in color to people than slide film since it handles various lighting conditions better. It didn’t really help me in hiding my kind of out of shape figure though, what can I say though, the food was really good.
Back in April this year I had the opportunity to go to the Philippines for the first time with Zab. Despite it only being April it was already hot and humid compared to what I’m use to with days usually being in the 90’s (Fahrenheit) with over 80% humidity. It also went to show me how out of shape I am when it comes to hauling my gear around, but even still it was a great time as we adventured around Manila and shot and ate a lot of great food. I think I still managed to gain weight while there even though I was sweating all the time just because there was so much to try eating. Hopefully next time we’ll get out to see other regions or islands.
Prior to this trip I really hadn’t shot much in the way of slide film in a while, but the colors there I feel really complimented the film tonality. I ended up shooting a few rolls of Fujifilm Velvia 50 with my Rollei and I am really happy with how they all turned out. Below are shots I ended up getting and some are duplicates because I wanted to test different shutter speeds or filters with the film. They’re also the first shots I’ve scanned with my DSLR and lightbox combo, since I’m trying to maximize my image resolution, but more on that another time. Perhaps I’ll end up printing some of these in the near future.
With Fujifilm discontinuing Acros I’m starting to test other B&W films I haven’t worked with much to see how they fair in caffenol. I have been hoping to find a film as flexible that could be shot from 100-1600iso on the same roll similar to Acros, though that is a tall order. For this roll I shot Kodak T-Max 100 from 100-800iso and developed it in caffenol c-h for 15min at 68f. The 100-400iso shots came out pretty well, though a little thinner than I expected. The 800iso shots were totally unusable, I’m not sure if increasing development time would even fix that, but I might try again and also try caffenol c-l and do that as a semi-stand method. To get the recipes, check out this book.